To quote the bands bio on their website: “If you long for the sounds of such vintage hard rock acts as Van Halen, Dokken, Queensryche, and Aerosmith (to name a few), then the Virginia-based quartet, Red Reign, is most definitely the band for you. Originally formed in summer of 2013 in Richmond, Red Reign singer/guitarist Carlton “Bubba”McMichael and drummer Sammy Lee started the group, after leaving a cover band to pursue all original music. A month after putting the plan together, bassist Larry Moore was added to the band, and guitarist Stevie Shred was added in early fall of 2015 to complete the band.” The band released re-recordings of some earleir music and are rerady to take on the world, one stage at a time…
1. What got you into music, and can you tell us about the moment you realized you wanted to be a musician?
I got into music the first time I heard Van Halen in 1978….and then once I saw a video of them… I was hooked and knew that’s when I wanted to be a musician.
2. Who would be your main five musical influences?
Van Halen, Black Sabbath, The Who, Deep Purple and Aerosmith.
3. If you could call in any one collaborator to do a song with, who would it be?
That’s a tough one as they’re so many people, BUT for me personally I would love to do a song With Eddie Van Halen.
4. How would you describe your music to someone who’d never listened to you before?
I would describe our music as Melodic Hard Rock and roll… the likes of VH and Aerosmith.
5. What’s the best thing about being a musician?
I love the whole process from writing a song, recording a song and then playing the song in front of a crowd.
6. When the band are all hanging out together, who cooks; who gets the drinks in; and who is first to crack out the acoustic guitars for a singalong?
When we do hang out, It’s very loose, But we are always focusing on moving forward and discussing the future over a few beers at a bar. We don’t really cook, but Bubba and Stevie (guitar players) are the first to pull out the acoustic Guitars.
7. If you weren’t a musician, what would be your dream job?
That’s a tough one. I don’t have a dream job. I do like working with people, so any field that will allow me to do that.
8. Looking back over your career, is there a single moment or situation you feel was a misstep or you would like to have a “do over”?
No, I do not feel that way. There have been mistakes, BUT those mistakes only made me try harder and keep my musical drive alive, AND made me a better muscian.
9. If you could magically go back in time and be a part of the recording sessions for any one record in history, which would you choose – and what does that record mean to you?
Van Halen I. Not only did that record change music at that time, but changed my life. It made me more confident, and opened a whole new world for me – personally and musically.
10. What, for you, is the meaning of life??
Always be truthful, treat others as you want to be treated and have fun along the way. Laughter is the best medicine in life.
11. BONUS – tell us a little about your latest release. What might a fan or listener not grab the first or second time they listen through? Are there any hidden nuggets the band put in the material or that only diehard fans might find?
The new RED REIGN release is a 5 song EP….. It was recorded with David Ivory (Producer of Halestorm/The Roots). The songs are melodic hard rock that has something for everyone. The main song on the EP is “Not That Way” which is a radio rock song with with great hooks to keep the listener engaged. For the average listener, the ep has something for everyone…
- Not That Way—-Radio song with wide fan appeal
- Toxic—-heavier drums and bass with a harder edge
- Chains—Typical heavy Meloic Hard Rock song
- Title Track RED Reign—Hard edge song, heavy guitars
- What is love for——Got to have a love ballad and this one rocks
RED REIGN LINKS:
Some other stuff you might dig
Filed Under: Interviews
About the Author: