According to a recent press release: “Chrome Molly made a bid for stardom in the mid to late 1980s, opening for Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne amongst many others, playing the legendary Marquee Club over 20 times and headlining the CBGB in New York. How do you take a band that has been performing and recording since 1983 forward? By going back to what you love riff laden melodic metal with tons of delicious guitar solos that make you want to grab your air guitar and join in. That is what Chrome Molly have achieved with this, their sxith studio album Hoodoo Voodoo.” With this great new disc just released on March 10 2017, we were able grab Steve Hawkins for 10 Quick Ones to discuss the release and more…
1. Tell us a little about your latest release. What might a fan or listener not grab the first or second time they listen through? Are there any hidden nuggets the band put in the material or that only diehard fans might find?
We wanted to stay true to our original sound in the 1980’s, each song is inspired by artists we love, so look out for snippets of Rainbow, Judas Priest, UFO and many more, you decide LOL
2. What got you into music, and can you tell us about the moment you realized you wanted to be a musician?
I remember having a huge poster of Marc Bolan on my wall, I thought how F*cking cool is he, saved up to buy my 1st guitar at that point 14 yrs old.
3. Who would be your main five musical influences?
Slade, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin
4. If you could call in any one collaborator to do a song with, who would it be?
I think that there have been some amazing songwriters in my lifetime across all genres, I think David Bowie had it going on big style.
5. How would you describe your music to someone who’d never listened to you before?
Pure singalong, nod along rock (with the top down!)
6. What’s the best thing about being a musician?
Seeing the reaction from a live audience, also being together with the boys, being on the road rocks it for me.
7. When the band are all hanging out together, who cooks; who gets the drinks in; and who is first to crack out the acoustic guitars for a singalong?
Steve and Nic fancy theirselves as the cook, regards the rest of the stuff we all try to get each other to do anything, terminally lazy lol.
8. If you weren’t a musician, what would be your dream job?
9. Looking back over your career, is there a single moment or situation you feel was a misstep or you would like to have a “do over”?
Some of the decisions regarding to record labels could have been handled a little better!
10. If you could magically go back in time and be a part of the recording sessions for any one record in history, which would you choose – and what does that record mean to you?
I’d love to be part of British Steel Judas Priest, what an album, was a massive step forward in rock for me.
CHROME MOLLY LINKS:
Some other stuff you might dig
Filed Under: Interviews
About the Author: