We get Message From Sylvia lead singer Matthew Nevitt to answer our 10 Quick Ones…
1. Tell us a little about your new self-titled album “Message From Sylvia”. What might a fan or listener not grab the first or second time they listen through? Are there any hidden nuggets the band put in the material, or that only diehard fans might find?
Most of anything that may have hidden meanings would be within the artwork itself. The album and tracks are pretty self-explanatory, although are written to give the listener an open canvas for their thoughts and feelings!
2. What got you into music, and can you tell us about the moment you realized you wanted to be a musician?
I grew up watching my father play! There was nothing better than to be invited to one of his shows or sit in during a practice. That for me was as close to heaven as I may get, lol. I also remember my father coming home from a long stressful day at work. Taking care of what he needed to for the household and family – then escaping to the basement to listen to his favorite records in the dark. At that moment I knew I wanted to be a part of that release he so desperately needed. In that perfect moment music made sense!
3. Who would be your main five musical influences?
- My father
- Sammy Hagar
- John Mellencamp
- Tom Petty
- Dewey Cox
4. If you could call in any one collaborator to do a song with, who would it be?
Hands down Sarah McLaughlin! Such an incredible voice and performer. I always imagined doing a duet with her…
5. How would you describe your music to someone who’d never listened to you before?
A cornucopia of current scene metal mixed with the past 2 decades of rock that has influenced us.
6. What’s the best thing about being a musician?
Being able to inspire! To change someone’s life with one song, lyric or melody. It’s the greatest high I could ever feel other than the birth of my children and the day I found my soul mate.
7. When the band are all hanging out together – who cooks? Who gets the drinks in? Who is first to crack out the acoustic guitars for a singalong???
I am definitely the first to grab an acoustic and a drink, for sure! Everyone contributes, but Isaac is a pretty badass cook. Check that out in our Pledge Music Campaign 🙂 http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/messagefromsylvia
8. If you weren’t a musician, what would be your dream job?
I always wanted to be a Marine Biologist. I love the Ocean and every hidden treasure it keeps – so intriguing! I mean who doesn’t watch shark week?!?!
9. Looking back over your career, is there a single moment or situation you feel was a misstep or you would like to have a “do over”?
If you aren’t making mistakes then you aren’t making strides or moving forward. It’s how you learn your craft and this industry. I take Nothing back. No matter how crazy or misfortunate. Baby steps and always keep moving forward.
10. If you could magically go back in time and be a part of the recording sessions for any one record in history, which would you choose – and what does that record mean to you?
The Bitches Brew Session with Miles Davis… if you understand or have listened to that album, you know why. 😉 It was simply incredible.
MESSAGE FROM SYLVIA LINKS:
Filed Under: Interviews
About the Author: