According to a recent press release: “Montreal based, blues-infused rock band The Damn Truth are re-writing the rules of the rock music industry with their sophomore LP, Devilish Folk. With the combination of front woman Lee-La Baum’s scorching vocals, paired with brilliantly orchestrated instrumentals, it’s no wonder that their first radio single, “Heart Is Cold,” dominated national radio and Lee-La was tapped as the voice of the new YSL BEAUTY perfume MON PARIS, singing U2’s “Love Is Blindness.”” We get the voice herself Lee-la to answer our 10 Quick Ones about the bands new disc and and more…
1. Tell us a little about your latest release. What might a fan or listener not grab the first or second time they listen through? Are there any hidden nuggets the band put in the material or that only diehard fans might find?
Devilish Folk was written and conceived pretty much at the same time that Tom and I conceived our first born- Ben. That insane, life changing experience of bringing a new life into the world can and did inspire our writing quite bit. The sheer weight of the responsibility started to settle in and we began questioning everything about ourselves and the world around us. Fearing for our unborn child – what this world has in store for him… so much so that in our first ultrasound we recorded his little heartbeat and you can hear it after the first verse of the title track.
2. What got you into music, and can you tell us about the moment you realized you wanted to be a musician?
I was 4 years old. I asked my dad to accompany me on guitar in my school talent show. I remember everything about that day… changing into my sparkly show-clothes, my mom putting on my makeup and the roar from the school auditorium when I was done. I was hooked.
3. Who would be your main five musical influences?
Joni Mitchell – thrills me to tears every single fucking time. The Beatles – my dad had every studio album they recorded, from Beatlemania to Abbey Road and Let It Be, and everything in between I listened to those records like a god-send and memorized every word, note and inflection. CSNY- I think I was about 12 the first time I saw their first ever performance at Woodstock . I was blown away by their beautiful harmonies and amazing acoustic power. Fiona Apple- her lyrics, music and oh my god her voice. So captivating and genuine. I love her. Jimi Hendrix- taught me everything I needed to know about that rock n roll attitude, and he was my first real rockstar crush. Watching footage of him playing his guitar… oh my…
4. If you could call in any one collaborator to do a song with, who would it be?
Dream stage date : Robert Plant
5. How would you describe your music to someone who’d never listened to you before?
Rock n roll. Raw. Heavy. Emotional.
6. What’s the best thing about being a musician?
I can’t bloody do anything else so I might as well keep doing this thing.
7. When the band are all hanging out together, who cooks; who gets the drinks in; and who is first to crack out the acoustic guitars for a singalong?
I make sure everyone’s drinking, Tom and Dave cook up a storm. PY will jam as long as he’s awake and sometimes he sleep jams too.
8. If you weren’t a musician, what would be your dream job?
See answer 6.
9. Looking back over your career, is there a single moment or situation you feel was a misstep or you would like to have a “do over”?
Those moments happen all the time and I truly believe that we wouldn’t be the same band or people if it wasn’t for those “missteps”. From the darkness and the mistakes and the passion to do better we get the drive to keep going, and the inspiration to write.
10. If you could magically go back in time and be a part of the recording sessions for any one record in history, which would you choose – and what does that record mean to you?
Oh man what I wouldn’t give to be naked and high on brown acid while watching one of the best concerts ever recorded with the biggest gathering of peace loving hippies. To witness the magic that was Woodstock.
THE DAMN TRUTH LINKS:
Filed Under: Interviews
About the Author: